Quick and Simple, Mussels and Tomato Soup Recipe
In a way this soup dish is like a lighter, simpler version of an acqua pazza. It's super quick to make yet so flavourful and comforting, making it a perfect dish to make on a weeknight after work. It is also low in carbohydrate yet very satisfying so it's great for those who're looking to cut back some carb in their diet.
Serves 2-3 people as a light main course or 3-4 people as a starter
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
- 1 kg (about 2 cups, or 2 handful) of fresh mussels (or you can use clams), cleaned and soaked for at least 20 minutes in tap water with a sprinkle of salt.
- 1 medium onion. chopped
- 1 fat clove of garlic, finely chopped
- a small pinch of chili flakes (optional)
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 glass of wine
- a handful of chopped parsley
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a soup pan. Add the chopped onions, garlic and a small pinch of salt and let the onions sweat until translucent. Add the hot pepper flakes (if using), and saute for 1 minute.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute the mixture over medium high heat, until the tomatoes starts to break down.
3. Add the white wine, crank the heat up to high, and let the alcohol bubble away.
4. Add the cleaned mussels, give the whole thing a quick stir to move things around, before adding just enough water to cover all the ingredients.
5. Put a lid on and over high heat, let the liquid come to a full boil. Turn the heat down to medium high and cook until the all the clams opens (discard any that didn't), about 8 minutes depending on the size of your clams.
6. Taste the soup for seasoning, add salt and pepper accordingly. Finish the dish with a handful of freshly chopped flat leave parsley and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
7. Serve immediately.